Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where Puzzle Pieces Come From

WOW!!!  What a response to my last blog!!!

I would like to sincerely THANK ALL who commented, called, texted, and emailed regarding that post!  Especially those of you who said that I was also an important puzzle piece in their life! 

So, exactly where do puzzle pieces come from?   Well, the goal of my last post was to have you all realize how important everyone (each a puzzle piece) and every experience (more puzzle pieces) is--not how important *I* am! LOL!!! I was merely trying to illustrate what I meant by giving you an example of that in MY life.

I do want you all to know and understand that every person whom I have ever met throughout the course of MY life--be it in the health care industry (30 years) or in our scrapbooking business (5 years), or anywhere in-between--each one has taught me something in some way or given credence to other ideas or judgements I may have been in the process of forming.  And THAT is why I feel documenting our lives in scrapbooking so important!  Every person makes a differnce in their own way, and every experience--regardless of what it is--helps us become who we are. THAT is why I believe scrapbooking is so important!

Rascal Flatts summed it up very well in their song (Bless the Broken Road): "Every long lost dream led me to where you are; Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars, Pointing me on my way into your loving arms.  This much I know is true:  That God blessed the broken road That led me straight to you..."

Please take some time over the next few days to think about where you are in your life right now, who you REALLY are, and the people and experiences that helped get you to that point.  I'm certain you'll find there are many, many people out there who have helped you to become YOU, and when you realize who they are--do what my sister did--TELL THEM!!!  Remember, most people are eager to point out any flaws, yet extremely hesitant to give someone credit for something good or nice or positive.  We have more than enough chaos and sadness in the world right now, so lets start looking for that silver lining when the clouds come.  I believe God is in control of our Life and where we are on the Road, and He will always lead us to something better, if we keep the Faith.  I hope you can find that Faith in yourself, and Believe, also.
 
Now, in Michael Jackson's own words: "I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror; I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways.  And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer--If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change!"

Please at least journal your thoughts or make a few layouts (or just a big collage) of all the people and events that have helped you to become YOU.  Take time for YOURSELF for a change, and scrapbook YOURSELF.  We are so much in the habit of scrapbooking our families, friends, pets, hobbies, and very few of us scrapbook and document OUR OWN LIVES.  Change that!!!  When you are long gone and your scrapbooks are still around, the people who look through them are going to wonder whom they were created by, and what type of person they were. What were some of the events and experiences in the scrapbooker's life?  Give them that, and they will truly have a treasure.  As will you!

The person who taught me the most about what scrapbooking really is and is meant to do, is Marlane Mayo.  She was an SDU Teacher of mine and Emery's at The Scrapbook Nook in Metairie way back when... and when The Nook closed, I asked her to come teach for us at Scrappersaurus.  She taught me--through working with her and through a close friendship--immeasureable "little" things that helped me to become a better crafter, a better teacher, a better retailer, and a much better person.  She explained to me that people always asked her, "Marlane, why do YOU scrapbook?  You don't have any children?!"  And she told me her reply was always the same, that when she was older and possibly in a nursing home, she wanted to have documentation of what she did and who she knew and where she went during her (younger, active) life.  She wanted to be able to relive those times and remember all her accomplishments, whatever they may have been.  That's what it's really all about, now, isn't it?

Have an awesome day!

Until next time, happy scrapping and stamping!

Dee

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing inspiring post Dee! You are definitely a big puzzle piece in my life, and I'm glad to be one in yours too. Thanks for the phone call today, it was really great to get to talk to you. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete